USA Triathlon has announced the 2018 High School Triathlon State Championships calendar, increasing the number of championships from 20 to 30 in the program’s second season. The events span from March to December, with multiple stops in each of USA Triathlon’s six Regions.
Each championship race is held as part of a larger age-group triathlon in the state, allowing young triathletes to showcase their talent against a competitive high-school field while enjoying the support of the wider multisport community.
“USA Triathlon is proud to offer high school athletes the opportunity to become state champions, and we look forward to watching these young competitors achieve their goals throughout the season,” said Tim Yount, Chief Operating Officer at USA Triathlon. “We are committed to adding championship events in all 50 states, and our growth from the inaugural season to year two is an indicator that that goal is very much in sight.”
Race directors were selected to host high school state championships via an online application and internal review process by USA Triathlon staff. Considerations for selection included the current scope of the event, its date and location, history of collaboration with USA Triathlon, depth of support for high school athletes, past media coverage and other deliverables that help to create a championship atmosphere.
Registration is now open for all races, and links to each event page can be found at usatriathlon.org/highschoolprogram.
The USA Triathlon Foundation is also accepting applications for its High School Program Grant. The Foundation has committed $40,000 in 2018 to support endeavours to grow high school triathlon, and $31,000 is still available. Funding may be awarded to support new and existing high school triathlon clubs, race directors for High School Triathlon State Championships, USA Triathlon Level I or Youth & Junior Coaching Certifications, and ideas that have a long-lasting and sustainable impact on the growth of triathlon at the high school level.
“We are thrilled to continue our support of the High School Program Grants, and to see the growth of the sport at the high school level with the addition of new state championships throughout the U.S,” said Jacqueline McCook, President of the USA Triathlon Foundation Board of Trustees.
The application for the USA Triathlon High School Program Grant can be found at usatriathlon.org/highschoolprogram. A maximum of $1,000 may be awarded to each applicant. There is no deadline to apply, as grants are distributed on a rolling basis. For additional grant information, email email@example.com.
The USA Triathlon High School Program, launched in the 2015-2016 academic year, creates opportunities for high school-aged athletes of all abilities to participate in triathlon alongside their peers. The USA Triathlon High School National Championships are held each year in conjunction with the USA Triathlon Collegiate Club National Championships. The 2018 edition is set for April 27 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama; registration is open and no qualification is required.
2018 High School Triathlon State Championships
- Alabama: Baptist Health Capital of Dreams Tri (Montgomery, Ala.), May 5
- Arizona: TriZona Super Sprint (Tucson, Ariz.), Sept. 9
- Arkansas: Ozark Valley Triathlon (Fayetteville, Ark.), June 3
- California: iCAN TRI Triathlon (Fresno, Calif.), Date TBA
- Connecticut: Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon (Middlebury, Conn.), July 11
- Delaware: Diamondman Sprint (Bear, Del.), Sept. 9
- Illinois: MMTT Youth Triathlon (Geneva, Ill.), May 27
- Indiana: Tri Indy (Indianapolis, Ind.), July 29
- Iowa: Pigman Sprint Triathlon (Palo, Iowa), June 3
- Louisiana: River Cities Triathlon (Benton, La.), Aug. 5
- Maine: Sebago Lake Triathlon (Standish, Maine), June 10
- Maryland: Fort Richie Sprint Triathlon (Cascade, Md.), Aug. 5
- Massachusetts: Hyannis Triathlon 1 (Hyannis, Mass.), June 16
- Michigan: Grand Rapids Triathlon (Ada, Mich.), June 10
- Missouri: HalfMax Multi-Distance Triathlon (Innsbrook, Mo.), June 16
- Montana: Bozeman Triathlon (Bozeman, Mont.), June 17
- Nevada: Las Vegas Triathlon (Lake Mead, Nev.), Sept. 29
- New Hampshire: Wallis Sands Triathlon (Rye Beach State Park, N.H.), Sept. 23
- New Jersey: New Jersey State Triathlon (West Windsor, N.J.), July 21
- New York: Musselman Triathlon (Geneva, N.Y.), July 14
- North Carolina: Sampson County Super Sprint Triathlon (Clinton, N.C.), March 24
- Ohio: Mojo Metropark Triathlon (West Chester, Ohio), June 10
- Oklahoma: Route 66 Sprint Triathlon (Edmond, Okla.), May 5
- Oregon: Best in the West Triathlon Festival (Sweet Home, Ore.), Sept. 8
- South Carolina: Trifecta Sprint Triathlon (North Myrtle Beach, S.C.), Sept. 9
- Tennessee: Music City Sprint Triathlon (Nashville, Tenn.), July 22
- Utah: Brineman Triathlon (Syracuse, Utah), Sept. 8
- Virginia: Luray Sprint Triathlon (Luray, Va.), Aug. 19
- Washington: TBA (Spokane, Wash.), June 17
- Wisconsin: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon (Pleasant Prairie, Wis.), June 24