The Big Picture: Jaroslav Kulhavy, a two-time Olympic medalist and multiple national and international mountain bike champion, has decided to join the Xterra World Tour off-road triathlon circuit in 2023.
What They Are Saying:
- Külhavy says he has been thinking about racing triathlons for a few years and Xterra is a better fit than Ironman races, because it features mountain biking and a run in nature.
- The running aspect will be the most challenging for Kulhavy, who has never practiced it, but he has a swim background and has started to incorporate swim and run training into his routine.
- Külhavy has the Xterra World Cup races in Belgium, Germany, and his home race in Prachatice, Czech Republic on his schedule so far and would like to race the Xterra World Championship in Trentino, Italy.
- Külhavy thinks Xterra Short Track is very interesting and has ambitions to be in top shape for the Xterra Czech race and the Xterra World Championship.
- Külhavy knows some of the elite men racing the Xterra World Tour, like Ruben Ruzafa and Sebastian Carabin, who are ranked in the top five.
Context: Kulhavy won gold in the mountain bike cross country competition at the 2012 Olympics in London and silver in the same event at the 2016 Rio Olympics. He has also won three Cape Epic titles and several national and European Championships in his 20-year career.
Noteworthy: Kulhavy is working with his team and has started to incorporate swim and run training into his routine in preparation for Xterra.