Why it matters: PTO US Open 2022 winner Collin Chartier has been suspended for three years after testing positive for EPO, a performance-enhancing drug.
Setting the pace: Chartier won the PTO US Open and Ironman Mont Tremblant in 2022, making him a rising star in the world of triathlon. His suspension has shocked the triathlon community.
What they're saying:
- Chartier: "I am deeply sorry and I want to apologize to my family, friends, supporters, and the sport in general."
- Coach Mikal Iden: "I'm in shock and crying just now learning that an athlete I've been coaching for the last year has been doping."
- Athlete Ben Hoffman: "F@%K DOPERS. The news that Collin Chartier willingly and knowingly took EPO to improve his performance is an absolute disgrace."
By the numbers:
- 3-year suspension for Chartier due to his early admission of guilt
- Currently ranked #14 in the world
- Won $100k prize purse at PTO US Open
Between transition: Chartier's suspension has caused a ripple effect in the triathlon community, as fellow athletes and his coach react to the news.
Through Time: Chartier's previous performances, including his victories at the PTO US Open and Ironman Mont Tremblant, are now tainted by the revelation of his doping.
The bottom line: Chartier's suspension highlights the ongoing issue of doping in sports and its impact on the integrity of competition.