By Karl Hayes
In an unprecedented step Triathlon New Zealand has removed all barriers to becoming a member of the country’s triathlon association. 2010/2011 membership is now free to all New Zealand triathletes. Tri NZ is an innovative sports body. They have a regular weekly TV show, a radio show, a number of large corporate sponsors and a very strong community of athletes. In 2009 they had a participant database of 80,000 people.
At the recent Tri NZ Annual General Meeting they resolved to reduce their membership subscription to zero dollars… That’s right, it’s FREE!!
Previously Tri NZ membership was $10 per year.
Why free Membership?
One of the outcomes of the Service Delivery Review conducted this year was that Tri NZ needed to take a lead role in developing the ability to communicate with all the sports participants and fans â€“ to better connect relevant people with relevant opportunities in the sport and ultimately grow participation. By dropping the membership fee to zero Tri NZ are removing all barriers to people joining and Tri NZ will partner with events, coaches, clubs, schools, etc to help promote the creation of this whole of sport community â€“ the TRIBE!
By doing this Tri NZ say that they will be able to better cross-promote events, training opportunities, club services, etc as well as advocate for the sport’s participants on key issues such as access to venues for events, road safety, etc
New Zealand’s triathletes are being encouraged to join TRIBE to become a member of Triathlon New Zealand Inc
Why will people want to join TRIBE?
- Become part of the triathlon community, connect with others and the sport
- Stay in touch with relevant events, coaches, training groups, clubs in your region
- When you join TRIBE you become a Tri NZ Member
- Tri NZ has launched a new website and back-end database to support development of the sport
TRIBE â€“ NZ’s triathlon community
- Tri NZ have also launched tribe on facebook and twitter – check out the links on the home page www.triathlon.org.nz
- Get the inside scoop on what’s happening in the sport
- Have a means to raise issues in the sport and have someone advocate for you
- Be in regular competition draws and other exclusive member benefits
- Vote for the Tri NZ Board Annually – a chance to have your say in the direction of the sport
This is an interesting move. As someone who is a member of Tri NZ I can say that the experience has always been very good. The events they run are well done and the way they promote all of their leading triathletes, both short and long course is second to none.
See more information about Tri NZ’s weekly TV show – click here.
You might also like
More from Uncategorised
In one of the most amazing scenes that has taken place in the Australian triathlon scene John Maclean raced the …
Aaron Royle and Ashleigh Gentle took out the 2014 titles at the Atmosphere Nepean Triathlon. Royle didn't have it all …