Port Macquarie Hastings Council has announced that the 2011 Ironman Australia course will incorporate a two lap swim, a two lap bike leg and a four lap run. The main changes from previous years being an extension of the bike course which allows a reduction in the laps from 3 to 2, and the moving of the finish chute to Town Green. No doubt many competitors will be secretly relieved that they will have to tackle Matthew Flinders Drive one less time on the scenic but challenging course, however now they have to go all the way to the top rather than having the temporary relief of the right hand turn three quarters of the way up! The other main change will be the simultaneous running of the 70.3 race, which will also finish in Town Green, but will kick off 2hrs 30mins after the start of the ironman.
WTC provided the following information:
Swim Leg – 3.8 km Ironman Australia / 1.9km Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie
- A two-lap course for full distance Ironman event.
- Swim entry and exit is via the boat ramp on the Short Street car park, which is the location of T1 and T2.
- The swim will begin as close to the boat ramp area as possible, with athletes self-seeding.
- Ironman 70.3 athletes will complete one lap of the swim course (1.9km).
- Full details of the swim course, including course maps for Ironman Australia and Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie are available here – http://ironmanaustralia.com/course/swim/
Bike Leg – 180km Ironman Australia / 90km Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie
Following an extensive consultation process involving Events NSW, Port Macquarie Hastings Council, NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet, Mid North Coast Area Police Command, NSW Major Event Operations Group and Incidents Response Group, WTC and all parties have reached agreement on a two-lap bike course, to replace the previous three lap bike course for Ironman Australia. The 2011 course:
- Incorporates the Bonny Hills, North Haven, Laurieton and Dunbogan communities, which will provide excellent engagement and spectator opportunities among these townships.
- Provides great variety with moderate climbs and undulations in Port Macquarie township and Bonny Hills areas, as well as flat sections in Lake Cathie and North Haven and Laurieton areas.
- Has an improved overall road surface due to the omission of Houston Mitchell Drive from the 2011 course.
- Still incorporates the climb on Matthew Flinders Drive on the return to Port Macquarie township. In 2011 athletes will climb to the very top of Matthew Flinders Drive and turn left onto Lighthouse Road. Athletes will not turn right into Davis Crescent on the ascent of Matthew Flinders Drive per previous years.
- Ironman 70.3 competitors will complete one lap of the bike course to complete the 90km Ironman 70.3 bike leg.
- Full details of the bike course, including course maps for Ironman Australia and Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie are available here – http://ironmanaustralia.com/course/bike/
Run Leg – 42.2km Ironman Australia / 21.1km Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie
- A four lap run course for Ironman Australia competitors. Two laps for Ironman 70.3 competitors.
- Incorporates the iconic Port Macquarie break wall and Town Beach sections, as well as the Town Green precinct.
- Separate finish chutes for Ironman Australia and Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie events.
- Ironman Australia Finish Line immediately in front of the Rydges Hotel on Town Green.
- Ironman 70.3 Finish Line in front of the Fig Restaurant in the Town Green precinct.
- Full details of the run course, including course maps for Ironman Australia and Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie are available here – http://ironmanaustralia.com/course/run/
- Age group athletes in the full distance Ironman Australia event will start at 6.30am.
- Athletes in the Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie event will start at 9.00am.
Ironman Australia and Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie will take place in Port Macquarie and surrounds on Sunday May 1, 2011.
You might also like
More from News
CHALLENGE is proud to announce that, on the 3rd June, it will live stream THECHAMPIONSHIP 2017 on its official website, …
CHALLENGEFAMILY is delighted to announce a premium list of professional triathlon contenders who will line up at the start of …