After 180km of riding Queenslanders lead the way in the men’s and women’s professional races, with Lachlan Kerin and Kyle Simpson first off the bike.
Over the first half of the bike leg the leading trio of Steve McKenna, Lachlan Kerin and Fraser Walsh all took turns at the front, powering their way over the flat and fast GWM IRONMAN Western Australia course.
West Australian athlete Matt Burton was more than two minutes behind the leading group, making his move to close the gap in the final 30km.
Kerin headed into transition in Busselton just 16 seconds ahead of Burton, with McKenna more than three minutes further behind in third.
In the women’s race Kate Bevilaqua took a nine minute lead onto the bike, ahead of Sarah Thomas and Kyle Simpson.
Simpson, the reigning IRONMAN Asia-Pacific champion, chipped away at Bevilaqua’s lead, moving into first position at the 115km mark.
Simpson headed onto the run over seven minutes ahead of Bevilaqua, with Thomas in third.
GWM IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA – RESULTS AFTER BIKE LEG
- Lachlan Kerin, AUS, 5:07:53
- Matt Burton, AUS, 5:08:10
- Steve McKenna, AUS, 5:11:29
- Fraser Walsh, AUS, 5:13:32
- Leigh Anderson-Voigt, AUS, 5:22:12
- Blake Kappler, AUS, 5:26:53
- Caleb Noble, AUS, 5:31:46
- Courtney Ogden, AUS, 5:40:59
- Kyle Simpson, AUS, 6:00:20
- Kate Bevilaqua, AUS, 6:07:41
- Sarah Thomas, GBR, Still on course