SuperSprint are running the 2012 2XU Falls Creek Triathlon in February next year after a successful debut in 2011. Falls Creek is Victoria’s largest alpine village and sets the scene for a great weekend holiday with exceptionally accommodation and activities for not only triathletes, but for their friends and family. The alpine village has also been renowned for altitude training camps for National and International competitors.
Entries are open, and SuperSprint are saying it is essential to get in early to avoid being left out of the 650 field limit. Last year’s winners Leon Griffin and Madeline Oldfield stormed through the course to notch up impressive wins ahead of a elite laden field of competitors.
2/80/20 – Saturday 11 February, 2012
The triathlon is held in a spectacular setting.
Swim 2km: 1 lap rectangular course in the pristine Rocky Valley Lake (approx 17C)
Cycle 80km: 3 lap course with full road closure on the Bogong High Plains road. An undulating and scenic course.
Run 20km: 2 lap run on beautiful running trails.
Click Here for Course Map
Click Here to Enter
9.1km Trail Run & Half Marathon – Saturday 12 February, 2011
Open category only – all abilities welcome (walkers, casual jogger, through to the serious runner!) A great event for your friends and family to enjoy as you prepare for your long course event in the morning
Click Here to Enter
Individual: $240 (TA Member) or $260 (non-TA Member)
Team of 3: $260 (TA Member) or $290 (non-TA Member)
Half Marathon: $60
Trail Run 9.1km: $30
For more details on the Falls Creek Triathlon or the Trail Running Festival entry details click on the links provided.
Most Improved Competition
SuperSprint are introducing an exciting new competition for the Top 10 Male and Female most improved times over the 2011/2012 events. These will be listed post event.
- The run course will feature an upgrade of the Aquaduct Trail and the Aitkens track with a surface similar to the Tan
- Saturday evening will be a party night following on from the presentations
- The race kits will feature a hooded windcheater
- Leon Griffin & Madeleine Oldfield will be returning to defend their titles along with Mitch Anderson and a strong contingent from New Zealand
- World famous triathlon photographer Delly Carr will be attending to capture the magic photos of Falls’ spectacular scenery.
- SuperSprint are planning a one hour television production of the event for national and international distribution
- SuperSprint have established a sister event relationship with the Titan Triathlon in Spain, with the winners of that event gaining free entry & accommodation to the Falls Creek Triathlon.
- SuperSprint have received an extended road closure and have applied to have Sunday as a contingency race day.
Falls Creek Training Camp
The 2XU Falls Creek Triathlon official training partner Tri-Aliiance have organised a training camp for the event. Draft dates for the Falls Creek training camp are:
Monday 2 January / Sunday 8 January.
With options of 6 night stay OR 3 night stay from Thursday 5 January to Sunday 8 January 2012.
Entering a Team
Participants can complete a team event whereby each participant completes 1 leg of the triathlon. When each participant completes their leg, the timing transponder is given to the next person in the bike compound who attaches it much like a baton in a relay. The runner (the last leg) will cross the finish line and give their timing transponder to the designated marshal.
Click Here to read more.
Accommodation & Tourist Activities
The Quay West Resort & Spa Falls Creek is the official accommodation partner for the event. Great packages are available for competitors, contact them on +61 3 5732 8000
Other fantastic accommodation offers can be found by contacting the Falls Creek Reservation Centre on 1800 453 525.
Click Here for more accommodation information
Surrounded by the Bogong High Plains and the Alpine National Park, Falls Creek is a gateway to the largest alpine area in Australia. At Falls Creek there something to suit everyone!
Click Here to check out some of the great activities on offer!
Getting to Falls Creek
Falls Creek is located 388km from the Melbourne CBD.
There are a few options to travel to Falls Creek, with car, bus, train or even air being available to you.
To find out what option is best for you and more information, CLICK HERE
*Please note that some of the services are during the snow season, so timetables may change