A close battle saw Brown and Russia’s Stuart Marais shoulder to shoulder, until Brown made his move around the 18.5km mark on the run. Successfully breaking free of his competitor, Brown ended up winning by just under a minute, with Sweden’s Frederik Croneborg holding off Guy Crawford to round out the podium 6 minutes back of Marais.
Meanwhile in the women’s race, American Dede Griesbauer was first out of the water with a considerable gap on Australian Kate Bevilaqua. Michelle Wu made good progress on the bike, but was unable to close the gap and eventually faded to fourth on the run. Australian Dimity-Lee Duke overcame Bevilaqua to finish second, seven minutes back of the dominant performance by Griesbauer.
Full media release to follow shortly.
Top 10 professional male results:
1. Cameron Brown (NZL) 4:05:44
2. Stuart Marais (RSA) 4:06:38
3. Fredrik Croneborg (SWE) 4:12:21
4. Guy Crawford (AUS) 4:13:48
5. Victor Debil-Caux (FRA)
6. Jonathan Tryoen (FRA) 4:21:11
7. Iain Veitch (HKG) 4:23:23
8. Deak Zsombor (ROM)
9. Hiroyuki Nishiuchi (JPN) 4:33:30
10. Daiki Masuda (JPN) 4:38:22
Professional female results:
1. Dede Griesbauer (USA) 04:34:49
2. Dimity-Lee Duke (AUS) 4:41:56
3. Kate Bevilaqua (AUS) 4:45:51
4. Michelle Wu (AUS) 4:46:31
5. Shiao-Yu Li (TWN) 4:53:16
6. Emi Sakai (JPN) 4:59:30
7. Maki Nishiuchi (JPN) 5:03:33
8. Yausko Miyazaki (JPN) 5:07:28