Run Repeat, in their recent survey of 3,961 current runners, discovered some interesting details. The survey intended to learn about the differences of motivation, the likelihood of racing, and other dissimilarities prevalent in the runners who started during the pandemic vs those who started prior to it.
First, the survey identified the ratio of pre-pandemic vs new-pandemic runners. It was reported that out of 3,961 runners who participated in the survey, 1,139 runners (28.76%) began running during the pandemic. Which indicates a remarkable rise in running during Covid. For pre-pandemic runners, the recorded count was 2,822 (71.24%).
Besides, the survey attempted to find out the intent of runners about participating in races. It was learned that around half of new-pandemic runners, precisely 570 (50.04%), said that they are aspiring to participate in a race, taking place over the next 365 days. Run Repeat’s report also maintains that these 570 new-pandemic runners are “20.67% less likely to participate in any form of race, in-person or virtual.” (https://runrepeat.com/new-pandemic-runners)
On the other hand, the ratio of pre-pandemic runners in this regard was considerably high, as 1,780 runners (63.08%) showed interest in participating in a race over the next 12 months. 1,519 of these runners (85.34%) said they’d like to join an in-person race while the rest of 261 were inclined towards virtual races.
When it comes to new-pandemic runners, 390 runners (68.42%) indicated that they’d prefer an in-person race over the virtual one. This leaves us with 180 runners (31.58%) who are eyeing to take part in a virtual race.
The survey also queried the motivations of these runners. It was found that the majority of new-pandemic runners were running for physical health. Whereas, for the majority of pre-pandemic runners, the key motivation for running was mental health. Run Repeat also maintains that the probability of new-pandemic runners to run for achievements or competitions is 34.27% less.
On the whole, the details presented in the report signify that it is time to update our perceptions about runners. Recently, a new class of runners has emerged who began running in an insane scenario. Resultantly, the motivations, and preferences of new-pandemic runners and pre-pandemic runners differ enormously.